This report is produced by National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA) in collaboration with partners. It covers the situation of Jajarkot, Rukum West and neighbouring districts following the earthquake and subsequent aftershocks on 3 November 2023.
1. Jajarkot, Rukum West and few neighboring districts are reported to be affected by the 6.4ML earthquake and its after-shocks.
2. 157 lives were lost due to earthquake, 105 in Jajarkot and 52 in Rukum West.
3. 102 people are injured in Jajarkot, 78 in Rukum West, 1 in Rolpa and 3 in Dailekh.
4. A total of 184 Nepal Army, 827 Nepal Police, 328 Armed Police Force Nepal and 22 Health work personnel are deployed from the security forces for rescue and relief.
5. The major cause of deaths seems to be collapse of weak building structure.
On 3 November 2023, at 11:47 PM an earthquake of magnitude 6.4 ML followed by several major aftershocks struck Jajarkot, Rukum West and five other districts in Karnali Province of Nepal.
The affected districts experienced more than 150 additional aftershocks as reported by National Earthquake Monitoring and Research Center, with a magnitude of 3.3 Richter scale on average, on Saturday afternoon. This has only exacerbated the challenges faced by the affected population, further testing the resilience of the region. The Jajarkot quake is the deadliest since 2015 when about 9,000 people were killed in two earthquakes in Nepal.
The death toll is rising and by this reporting hour it reached 157 people dead with 184 injured however these figures are expected to rise.
Rt. Hon. Prime Minister Mr. Pushpa Kamal Dahal (Prachanda) along with cabinet ministers and ex-ministers visited the earthquake affected districts and gave instructions for effective search and rescue including distribution of relief.
Here is the Full Report.